Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Food Hunt for Charity: Part One



First off lets talk about what I'm doing exactly. Basically i read off another local food blog about a Food Scavenger Hunt that was going to take place (started May 1st) with donations being made to Lanakila Meals on Wheels. What adventurers are challenged to do is to eat at 50 different places in 90 days. You can find the whole list here. Currently I'm 16/50 places eaten so wish me luck!

Blueberry Cream Cheese Scone

Now these scones were breathtaking! This was the second time i had these and enjoyed every bite. A mix of Blueberries and Cream Cheese in a light fluffy dough mixed together is the reason why these scones are normally sold out! Thank goodness i went early enough.

Look at all the Blueberries!

Everyone should go pick one up from Diamond Head Grill! They are well worth the travel if you live far away!

Burger from Burgers on the Edge

Second place on my list today was Burgers on the Edge in the Kapahulu Safeway Shopping Center. I've been here a couple times in the past and wasn't too happy with what i ate but i had to eat here for the charity! I decided to order a 1/3 Pound Waygu (American version of Kobe) with Bleu Cheese, Basil Pesto, Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions, Fried egg and Bacon.

Nomnom : )

I really enjoyed my burger compared to the other times I've eaten here. It was cooked medium (pink center) and was extremely juicy. The toppings just added more layers of flavor with each bite. I normally never order my burger with Bleu Cheese but i wanted to try something new since i always get Havarti. I was happy with my decisions of toppings on my burger. Definitely going to come back for a full review one day.

Leonard's Mango and Haupia Filled Malasadas

Everyone knows Leonards! Definite classic if you're from Hawaii. I remember eating Malasadas when they had the wagon out by Hawaii Kai Costco and would always get one on the way home (Hence my size)! Never had the Mango filled Malasada so it was a must try when i bought them.

Mango Stylez!


Haupia filled!

Wow, the Mango Malasada was wonderful with that creamy Mango filling. Part of me just wanted to suck up a big bowl of that. As for the Haupia, it's an all time favorite of mine since i was a kid. Coconut is just magic in my mouth!

Cake Couture

I'll keep this short and sweet, literally. If you want a sweet dessert, go for Cake Couture. I personally never liked them because i always found them extremely sweet and heavy so wasn't really a fan. Though i found the Key Lime Coconut one quite good!

LnL Mini Loco Moco

Again, this will be short. I hate eating Loco Mocos from LnL because i just find them disgusting. Their gravy they use is like thick fat and bland. As you can see i had to put a good amount of Tabasco on it to make it taste good. UGH.

Hawaiian Poke Bowl

Woo, Poke Bowls are delicious! Although i was limited to eating the Hawaiian Poke Bowl which consisted of Rice, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Kalua Pig and Poke, i really enjoyed eating the Poke. The Poke tasted very fresh and full of flavors while the Lomi Lomi Salmon and Kalua Pig felt like it was just purchased from the store(Which i think it was). At the end of it, i was happy with what i ate. The bowl was a nice big size for the price i paid.

Menchies!

My favorite Frozen Yogurt shop by far! I think Menchies has a better choice of yogurt flavors and toppings! Today i decided to go for Lychee and Green Apple Tart with Rainbow Sprinkles, Coconut and Mango! Pure bliss!

Takoyaki from Shirokiya

Little balls of Octopus and other good treats topped with Ginger, Mayonaise, Tonkatsu Sauce, Furikake and Bonito Flakes, who would make something better! When I traveled to Japan as a kid, these were the things i ate the most. Full of flavor and just darn right delicious, Shirokiya does a pretty good version of it.

I ate at a couple other places today, Daves Ice Cream for Green Tea Ice Cream and Bubbies for Mochi Ice Cream so here are some more pics!

Chocolate Mint Mochi Ice Cream!


Green Tea Ice Cream!


That's all for my blogging today, I'll do another update later when i eat at more places! My goal is to eat at all 50 places before June 15th! Wish me luck to do my best in this challenge! If you're wondering where the Munchie Mondays blog is, it'll happen later this week, Tina has been sick :( It's coming though guys!

-Chef B

1 comment:

  1. That first malasada picture looks vulgar or something.

    ReplyDelete